April 27, 2005

Ch. 4: More Wacky Adventures of Jarrod in...

LAS VEGAS!!!





When last we left our intrepid explorer he was standing at the mouth of the Giant Golden Lion, idol of the Grand Gods of MGM.



Chapter 4. Into the Mouth of the Lion

So today I had my "interview" with MGM Grand. I put interview in quotes because it wasn't really an interview so much as a double check of my application. When you apply for a position with MGM or New York New York you do it online. At the end of the application you get to choose an interview time. I thought it was because I was special and scored well on the verbal portion of the test*, but it seems that pretty much anyone who applies gets an "interview." You may also have to have answers for their job specific questionnaire that correspond to a certain level of what they are looking for. Or maybe it's just dumb luck.


In any case I showed up rather early for my interview time. About an hour early. This was due to the fact that I don't have a car and had to ride an unfamiliar bus system. It turns out that I was a straight shot to the MGM (about 20 minutes as the CAT flies) and didn't have to leave as early as I did.


Once there I was sent into a room with about 12 two person desks neatly aligned in their rows and columns. At the front of the room was a podium and a projection screen playing the MGM feel good promotional video set to some Tina Turner song. I think I watched it about five times. The periphery of the room was lined with more desks; the walls had various MGM themed prints hanging off them.


The oddest thing about the room was the toaster. It was a Dualit 4 slice vario toaster. Dualit is a manufacturer of catering equipment based out of the UK. Here's what the Dualit website has to say about the Vario Toaster:


"The Dualit Vario Toaster combines simplicity and sophistication perfectly. Hand assembled at our Crawley,UK Factory the toasters feature extra wide 28mm slots to accommodate a Sandwich Cage. The award winning ProHeat elements, a patented design which increases toasting efficiency & element longevity, every toaster has a removable crumb tray and an adjustable rear foot. Manually operated the Dualit toaster features switches to control the degree of browning and an ejector system which means that the toast does not pop up but stays warm until the ejector lever is pushed up."

Fascinating. But what do I do when I want my 30mm bread toasted? This toaster costs £144.82 (about $275.77). That's some expensive toast for us interviewees.


After sitting in the holding room for about 15 minutes talking to Carlos, the bartender apprentice interviewee who currently works at TI (Treasure Island's new hip alter ego), we went into the alter chamber and gave up our sacrifice of Social Security numbers at the alter of the Computer Queue. From here we played a rousing game of Stand and Fill the Chairs, after which we spoke with a high priest of Fact Checking.

And this is why "interview" is in quotes. We were there to confirm that the information we supplied was correct. I didn't even have to confirm all of my info. Just that my references weren't current employers or family members and that my previous job was with Destiny Point Productions. I did however find out what I really applied for. The "Gatekeepers" are the "characters" who "usher" people to their seats for the show KA. Guest service meets Stanislavsky. So now I have to go on Friday and actually audition for the position. The only information I got about that was that it is at 10:00am at Studio 54.

Faced with the dilemma of either going to the audition or doing the film (see Chapter 3. Jarrod Goes "Hollywood") I began my journey back to the gapping mouth of Golden Idol. On the path I came across an odd sight. They say it's name is "Carrot Top." I believe this to be due to the bright, curly, red plumage sprouting from it's head. It's well developedmuscless straining to hold what appeared to be a "cell phone" to it's ear. What an odd sight, this "Carrot Top."

I continued to the bus stop, perplexed by the creature and pondering how it may help me with mydecisionn.


In our next episode: Jarrod Confronts the Hollywood Texan.

*There is no verbal portion of the online test. That would make for some difficult webprogrammingg.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home